DECEMBER 7, 2021 UPDATE TO WYBA COVID POLICY
To All WYBA Parents:
Due to the recent increase in Covid cases in our community, there has also been an increase in kids being deemed "close contacts," many of whom participate in Wellesley Youth Basketball. Over the last few days, as positive cases have emerged, WYBA has engaged in multiple conversations with the Wellesley Health Department to receive clarity on how to proceed. Effective immediately, WYBA has been instructed to make the following modifications/clarifications to the WYBA Covid Policy as noted below.
First and foremost, the Wellesley Health Department has informed us that Wellesley Public School's "test and stay" program DOES NOT apply to Wellesley Youth Basketball or any other outside-of-school activity.
That means two things FOR THOSE PLAYERS THAT ARE NOT FULLY VACCINATED in our program:
1) If your child has been deemed a "close contact" based on an in-school exposure to Covid AND they are NOT fully vaccinated (defined as two weeks after the second dose of Pfizer or Moderna, or two weeks after J&J) they MAY NOT participate in WYBA practices or games until they have completed the state mandated quarantine exit requirements (see attachment below). Even if a child is testing negative daily at school and able to attend school, that child is NOT able to play basketball in our program until out of quarantine.
2) If your child is exposed to Covid by playing in a town Hoops or Metrowest travel basketball game AND they are NOT fully vaccinated (as defined above), they are NOT eligible to use Wellesley Public School's "test and stay" program. That means that any non-fully vaccinated child will be in quarantine and out of school for one week, regardless of daily negative home testing. Also, per the Wellesley Health Department, if your child is exposed to Covid by playing in a town Hoops or travel basketball game, regardless of whether or not they are wearing a mask during the game, they WILL be deemed a "close contact" for the town's contact tracing purposes.
Should you have any questions about the Wellesley Health Department's Covid Policies, you can reach out to them directly https://www.wellesleyma.gov/193/Health If you have questions about WYBA's Covid policies, please email us at
As a reminder, WYBA will continue to have a zero tolerance policy for non-compliance with our Covid Safety Policies. Thank you for your understanding as we continue to work to provide a safe environment for our kids to play basketball.
Wellesley Youth Basketball Association
Wellesley Youth Basketball Association COVID 19 Waiver (please read carefully)
In consideration of being allowed to participate in any way in the Wellesley Youth Basketball clinics, training, instruction, or competition, whether involving team or individual events and activities, the undersigned acknowledges, appreciates, and agrees that:
1. The risk to have direct or indirect contact with individuals who have been exposed to and/or diagnosed with one or more communicable diseases, including but not limited to COVID-19 or other medical conditions, diseases, or maladies, and/or any mutation or variation thereof does exist and it is impossible to eliminate the risk that I, or my child, could become infected through contact with or close proximity to an individual with a communicable disease;
2. Contracting the COVID-19 may result in serious health issues for the participant and/or individuals the participant subsequently comes into contact with, and while particular rules, equipment, and personal discipline may reduce the risk of contracting the virus, the risk can never be completely removed;
3. I KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES or others, and assume full responsibility for my participation;
4. I willingly agree to comply with the stated and customary terms and conditions for participation. If, however, I observe any unusual, significant hazard during my presence or participation, I will remove myself from participation and bring such hazard to the attention of the nearest official immediately; and,
5. I, for myself and on behalf of my heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, HEREBY RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS Wellesley Youth Basketball Association, its officers, officials, agents and/or employees, other participants, sponsoring agencies, directors, sponsors, advertisers, and, if applicable, owners and lessors of the premises used to conduct the event (collectively, the "Releasees"), WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL INJURY, ILLNESS, DISABILITY, DEATH, or loss or damage to person or property, WHETHER ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE. I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT, FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY SIGNING IT, AND SIGN IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT. Parent or legal guardian of each youth player must sign below. FOR PARENT/GUARDIAN OF PARTICIPANT OF MINORITY AGE: This is to certify that I, as parent/legal guardian with legal responsibility for this participant, do consent and agree to his/her release as provided above of all the Releasees, and, for myself, my heirs, assigns and next of kin, I release and agree to indemnify the Releasees from any and all liabilities incident to my minor child's involvement or participation in these programs as provided above, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THEIR NEGLIGENCE.
6. I agree, on behalf of myself and my child, to agree to abide by the terms of this waiver and release, which includes the terms of the below Code of Conduct.
COVID-19 Return to Play Code of Conduct
As a condition of my child’s return to play:
- I will abide by the plan requirements set forth by Wellesley Youth Basketball Association governing safety and behavior prior to being allowed to participate or enter a facility whether it is a practice, competition, or camp.
- I hereby agree and acknowledge that my participation, and that of my child, is completely voluntary and is not required or encouraged by Wellesley Youth Basketball Association coaches or staff.
- I will not allow my child to participate in any activities if any member of my household has any of the following new or worsening signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19:
* Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
* Chills or repeated shaking with chills
* Muscle pain
* Sore throat
* Loss of taste or smell
* Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
* Known close contact with a person who is lab confirmed to have COVID-19.
I further agree that if any member of my household experiences these symptoms, I will immediately notify my coach as well as WYBA’s Nancy Williamson at email@example.com
I will not allow my child to return to WYBA participation if any individual in my household has diagnosed with COVID-19, until all three of the following criteria are met: i) at least 3 days (72 hours) have passed since recovery (resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications); (ii) the individual has improvement in symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and (iii) at least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; or in the case of an individual who has symptoms that could be COVID-19 and does not get evaluated by a medical professional or tested for COVID-19, the individual is assumed to have COVID-19, and the individual may not return until they have completed the same three-step criteria listed above; or if the individual has symptoms that could be COVID-19 and wants to return to work before completing the above self-isolation period, the individual must obtain a medical professional's note clearing the individual for return based on an alternative diagnosis.
I will adhere to the travel restrictions put in place by Commonwealth of Massachusetts that dictates a mandatory 14-day quarantine or a negative COVID-19 test.
I agree to, whenever possible, drop off kids and pick them up from practice while staying inside my vehicle. In accordance with WYBA policy, this season there are no spectators allowed.
Masks must be worn by all partipants at all times. If masks are removed for water breaks or other, participants must remain 6 feet from other participants or coaches.
I agree to adhere to Wellesley Youth Basketball’s plan for drop off and pick up that adheres to social distancing guidelines.
I agree to instruct my child on the club’s recommended guidelines for physical contact, which initially involve the prohibition of hugs, high-fives, etc.
I agree to ensure that my child has washed or sanitized their hands before entering the facility.
I agree to handle and care for their own equipment such as basketballs, water bottles, pinnies, etc. Staff or volunteers will not be allowed to handle.
I agree to abide by the rules put in place by Wellesley Youth Basketball Association to regulate practice or drill times to control the number of youth participants at the facility at one time to ensure social distancing between stable groups.
I agree to use abide by all facility rules, including signing a facility waiver before each WYBA event, and not entering the court until the previous group has completely left the court on which practice is to take place.
I agree to follow any instruction from Wellesley Youth Basketball staff regarding health and safety protocols, as they are amended from day to day.